A weighted grade column is a calculated column that displays the calculated result of component parts (columns and/or categories); each part is worth some percentage of the total. You can create a weighted grade based on any column and/or category in the Grade Center. For example, you can create a weighted grade column that calculates the final grade for the course. Categories such as Test, Discussion, and Assignment would be given a certain percentage of the final grade along with the percentage for other grade columns (e.g. Mid-term, Final Exam).
Follow these steps to do it.
To create a weighted grade column:
- Goto the [Control Panel] for the course and click on the [Grade Center] link to expand it. Click on [Full Grade Center].
- Roll your mouse over [Create Calculated Column] on the menu bar and select [Weighted Column] from the drop down menu.
- In the Column Information field, enter a name for the weighted grade column.
- Choose the primary display and optionally a secondary display for the weighted grade column.
- In the Select Columns area (section 3) click on grade columns and categories to be included in your weighed total calculations and click the arrow on the right to move the column/category to the “Selected Columns” area.
- Enter the weight percentages to be applied to each column/category. Categories that you choose to be included in the weighted total will give you an option to drop grades where you can enter the number of grades to drop if appropriate.
- Choose your options and then click on [Submit] when done.
Want more information?
Step-by-step instructions are available [PDF].
Explore Blackboard's On Demand Learning Center [HTML].
Visit the Blackboard FAQs for additional blackboard information
or email or call Janice Florent: (504) 520-7418