You may be required to submit a video file for an assignment. Most video files are too large to post directly into your Brightspace course. If your assignment requires you to submit a video file, the file should be uploaded to a video sharing site such as YouTube, and then the link to the video should be posted to your Brightspace assignment.
Directions for recording, uploading, and sharing a video on YouTube are provided below. You may use other video upload/sharing sites you are familiar with instead of YouTube, as long as you are able to share your video. Your video upload/sharing site should allow you to share your video by providing your classmates and/or instructor with a link to your video.
Record Your Video
Devices such as a web camera, laptop camera, digital camera, video recorder, or cell phone may be used to record your video as long as the video file format is one of the Supported YouTube formats. Your professor may require your video to be a particular length. Verify your equipment's recording capabilities in order to meet the length of time requirement for your video. Refer to this YouTube support website for assistance with recording your video. Once your video has been recorded and saved, you are ready to upload to YouTube.
Access Your YouTube Account
You will need to create or use a Gmail/Google account in order to use YouTube for uploading and sharing videos. If you have a Xavier email account, you automatically have a Google account. You can use that account to login to YouTube, or you can create a new account, or use another YouTube or Google account you may already have.
- Sign into your Google (Gmail) account.
- Open a new tab or window in the same browser and go to YouTube.com.
- Click on Sign In at the top right corner of the YouTube screen.
- If this is the first time you've logged into YouTube, follow the onscreen instructions to set up your account.
Upload Your Video
Step-by-step instructions on how to post a video and how to record a video using your webcam are available at YouTube help.
YouTube allows you to upload videos of up to 15 minutes in length. Longer videos may require your account to be verified. This is a simple one-time process as explained in this YouTube help article.
- Note: We recommend using the "Unlisted" privacy setting for uploaded videos. The "Unlisted" privacy setting will still allow you to easily share the video with your instructor and/or classmates. The "Unlisted" privacy setting will not allow your video to be included in search results when people search the web. The "Private" setting is very restrictive and therefore we do not recommend using the "Private" setting.
Share Your Video
Once you have recorded and uploaded your video to YouTube, you can share your video in a couple of different ways with your instructor and/or classmates. Refer to the following YouTube support websites for instructions on sharing your video:
- How to share videos
- Private videos and how to share them (we recommend using the "Unlisted" setting)
Post the Video Link to Brightspace
Once your video is uploaded to YouTube or other video sharing site, you can link to it in Brightspace anywhere the Brightspace HTML Editor is available (i.e., discussion board, assignment submission folder, etc.)
Information about the new Brightspace Editor is available.