The Course Menu appears on the left side of your course window and contains links to materials and tools within the course. All Blackboard courses are created with a default course menu (e.g. text links on a blue background and default content areas.) You can structure your course menu to fit your needs. You can personalize your course menu with your own wording, order, colors and styles.
Follow these steps to do it.
To create a link on the course menu:
- Turn Edit Mode ON.
- Roll your mouse over the plus sign above the course menu. The Add Menu Item drop-down list appears.
- Select the type of content to create.
- Type a Name for the link. Complete any other required text boxes, such as URL for Web Link.
- Select the Available to Users check box to enable users to see the link on the course menu. You can create content ahead of time, make it unavailable, and then make it available at the appropriate time.
- Click [Submit].
- A link to the new content appears at the bottom of the course menu. You can drag-and-drop the link into a new position by rolling your mouse over the link and then clicking on the cross arrow on the left of the link and drag-and-drop the link into a new position.
To remove, show/hide, or delete a course menu item:
- Turn Edit Mode to ON.
- Roll your mouse over the link and then click on the dropdown arrow on the right of the item.
- Click on [Rename] to change the link title. Select [Hide Link] to make it unavailable to students. Click [Show Link] to make it available to students. Select [Delete] to permanently remove the item.
To change the color and style of the course menu:
- Goto the [Control Panel] for the course and click on [Customization] to expand it.
- Click on [Teaching Style].
- Choose your menu style, layout, and content appearance settings.
- Click [Submit].
Want more information?
Understanding the Course Menu
Course Style Options
Explore Blackboard’s On Demand Learning Center.
Try these Blackboard How-To documents.
Visit the Blackboard FAQs for additional blackboard information
or schedule a one-on-one session, email, or
call Janice Florent: (504) 520-7418.