Use the Assignments tool to help you set and manage deadlines, unclutter your inbox, and save trees.
The Assignments tool is an efficient way to manage and collect your student's individual and group assignments digitally. Brightspace's Assignments Tool allows instructors to create a secure location for students to submit class assignments.
The Assignments tool allows instructors to set up a place for students to submit their assignments digitally, with the ability to:
- Control the window for submission
- Facilitate individual submissions or group submissions (provided the groups have been set up using the Groups tool first)
- Collect and assess submissions (with a connection to the Grades tool, if needed)
- Enable plagiarism detection through Turnitin
Follow these steps to do it.
To create an assignment submission folder:
- On the NavBar (of the course you want to create a submission folder), click Activities and then choose Assignments from the drop-down menu.
- Click New Submission Folder.
- Enter a Name for your submission folder.
- Select a Folder Type.
- Do any of the following:
- Select a Category or click New Category to organize your assignment submission folders.
- Select a Grade Item, or click New Grade Item.
- To assign a score, enter a value in the Out Of field.
- To associate a rubric to the folder, click Add Rubric, or Create Rubric in New Window.
- Enter instructions in the Instructions field.
- Add attachments in the Attached Files area.
- Expand Show Submission Options and select the appropriate settings.
- Enter your email address in the Notification Email field to receive an email message when a new submission is uploaded to this folder.
- Choose the option to hide student names during assessment, if appropriate.
- Click Save.
Note: You can add the Turnitin plagiarism detection feature to the assignment submission folder using the options in the Turnitin tab. Follow these instructions to enable Turnitin for the assignment submission folder.
Want More Information?
- Assignments Tool Quick Reference Guide (pdf)
- Create an assignment
- View assignment submissions
- Evaluate assignment submissions
- Email students who haven't submitted an assignment
- Allow special access for assignments
- Assignments FAQ
- How to submit Assignments video [1:59]
- Learner FAQ - Assignments
- Learner FAQ - Assignment - Errors
- Enable Turnitin Feedback Studio® for assignments
- Turnitin Feedback Studio - Instructor
- Quick Tips for Mastering Feedback Studio
- Turnitin Feedback Studio - Student
- Students - View your Turnitin assignment feedback
Assignments Tool Training Recap
View all the Brightspace training recaps
Continuous Delivery release notes
Brightspace Known Issues
Request a sandbox course
Sign-up for Brightspace training sessions
You can find Brightspace help at D2L's website.
Join the Brightspace Community.
Try these Brightspace How-To documents.
Visit our Brightspace FAQs for additional Brightspace information
or schedule a one-on-one session, email, or
call Janice Florent: (504) 520-7418.
Note: Are you doing something innovative in Brightspace or perhaps you've discovered a handy tip? Share how you are using Brightspace in your teaching and learning in The Orange Room.